Johnson of Wigan 24 hour wall Regulator. Ca 1850
JOHNSON, WIGAN A WALL MOUNTED REGULATOR CLOCK, THE CASE ATTRIBUTED TO SIR GEORGE GILBERT SCOTT the oak case with segmented moulded surround above scroll work carved decoration and glazed trunk door with canted corners leading to a chisel base with applied panel, the 13” painted dial with 24 hour observatory layout having Roman and Arabic numerals fronting a substantial eight day weight driven movement with jewelled deadbeat escapement, Harrison maintaining power and six spoke wheel work throughout; original brass cased weight and large wood rod pendulum with circular 8” brass bob 157cm high Footnote. The label inside the case reads “Regulator Clock from Rev. T Stevens ‘Den’ Bradfield College” Gilbert Scott was commissioned by Thomas Stevens, the lord of the manor and Rector of the parish, to rebuild the church, which he completed in 1848. It is believed that Gilbert Scott often gave a present on completing his work. This clock is believed to be a present to Rev. Thomas Stevens from Gilbert Scott.