Kemp and Holman, 95 High Street, Lewes, Sussex
John Holman was the last apprentice of one of our finest Lewes clockmakers, William Kemp. Upon completion of his apprenticeship he entered into partnership with his master until around 1795 when the partnership was dissolved. Several fine clocks some with regulator dials and of 30 hour duration and elegantly signed Kemp and Holman are known.
This clock is probably amongst the first he made upon setting up on his own. The pared back style of the dial is typical of his work as he preferred a very clean look to both his clocks and cases. This is a style much favoured by customers even to the present day. This one is contained in a plain mahogany case simply signed “Holman” below the 12 o’clock chapter.
John Holman continued making clocks for at least another 40 years after this one. He went into business with his son Henry James Holman and was succeeded by him. John Holman is also recorded by E J Tyler at 68 High Street 1823-24; Keere Street 1828-34 and later in Fisher Street, mid-century. He died in 1855 in his 90th year.