John Andrews, c.1690

  • SOLD

The square dial on this clock follows a form made familiar by the longcase clocks of the period. The cherub spandrels, a pattern that had been in use since the start of the 1660s, are fitted to a seven-inch dial plate. Although this clock will keep time to the minute or better, in traditional lantern clock fashion it was only ever fitted with one hand. The chapter ring has now become significantly broader and uses the “sword hilt” half-hour markers typical of the period, favoured in particular by Tompion but also in use much earlier by Bowyer. Despite its square dial, this remains a true lantern clock with all the usual decorative features, and it was not designed to fit into a wooden case. This clock is in remarkably unaltered condition, with original anchor escapement, and is of twenty-four-hour duration. The invention of the wheel-cutting engine had enabled wheels with a higher number of teeth to be accurately divided and cut. As can be seen from the side view, the wheels are much more like those used on longcase clocks, which were very well established by this date and usually of eight days duration. John Andrews is listed as working at Leadenhall Street until 1716, the same street in which William Bowyer, one of the very earliest makers, was working and where he and took his first apprentice in 1616, 100 years previously. The table below shows the lineage from Bowyer, through successive apprenticeships, to Andrews. This lineage includes many fine and prolific makers of lantern clocks. William Bowyer Apprenticed 19 Oct 1620 (Blacksmiths’ Company) John Pennock Apprenticed 1638 – 1646 free 46/47 Nicholas Coxeter Apprenticed 1648 Freed 1656 Thomas Wheeler Apprenticed 1667 – 1674 Freed 1677 Nathaniel Pyne Apprenticed 1680 John Andrews At the same time … 1689 William and Mary declared joint sovereigns 1694 Bank of England founded by William Paterson National debt came into effect

 

Please View Our Other Clocks

Back to top